NOT EVEN A FIB.THAT STIRRED MY LIFE.THEN.

2001.
Zakhama, Nagaland,INDIA.
I had just finished playing with my fave robotic doll that reverted with few words everytime patted on her stomach like MUMMY,PAPA and a few more that I don't precisely remember.She was dearest to me, more than candies even,a relatable analogy for a 6 yr old, isn't?
More because she earned me fanfare among my colony friends.
I kept it aside on my bed,it was my study time-yes! quite a disciplined kid I was, credit goes to dad.He has always led a disciplined life way before he came into teaching.
I enjoy reading anything & everything ever since I learnt to,I guess-I got this in my genes with having both parents in literature field.
I had just read one page of the english story and the light went off.It was a power cut, not a regular glitch though since our staff colony was near the military base.
I hustled in dark saving myself from the furniture edges towards dad, who was sitting in another room. I sat down quietly somewhere beside him.I'm afraid of dark even at this age , don't know the exact reason though-may be 'cause darkness covers up everything that's familiar or maybe 'cause I imagine strangest things in the dark, I haven't got the answer yet.
We started chatting how our day went in the school.The power cut was getting long.
"Go& take a nap, I'll wake you up when the dinner is ready" Dad told me.
"Umm..After watching Sonpari", I said.
"But there is still time for the t.v show,you never know when the light will come", he said.
"But promise me, you'll wake me up before Sonpari telecasts", I sought for a "yes".
"Ok! Promise" smilingly -most certainly since I couldn't trace his expressions in that darkness, Dad assured me.
Sonpari was my fave t.v show. I never missed out even a sec of the show- 9p.m on Starplus everyday.I always fantasized of having a sapphire like Frooti,the kid in the show had.She would rub it and Sonpari-the fairy with her partner Altu would show up.I wanted that magical power too.
Usually dad and I would both cook dinner in our respective kitchen-I in my toy kitchen ofcourse.Both of our dishes  would get served in our plates and we would pretend eating the delicacies I would prepare with leaves and flowers.Kiddish? Yes! But that real fun kids nowadays miss out while enjoying the digital world.
"Get up Richa, dinner is ready"
After much of his efforts, I woke up.The light had come by then.I suddenly looked at the clock it was 9:40p.m. My mind went blank.The hell broke out for me.
With tears in my eyes I asked, " The light came before 9, isn't?"
"Yes! But I thought to let you sleep for some more..." before he could complete, I broke down, crying loudly.Not being able to watch what went on among Frooti, Sonapri, Altu and the evil witch triggered my emotions badly.
Sobbingly  I started blabbering& rambling,  " You are a liar, You are deceptive, you broke your promise, how could you ? You are supposed to be a good dad.You told me one should never lie still you didn't wake me up.Dad this isn't done" and I went on&on.
Dad standing perplexed and smiling, what to say to comfort this kid, to make her understand this is not even a fib.
Well, my dad enjoyed the best show of his life that day wondering how dainty kids' heart are.How innocent they are,far from all the malice and animosity we grown up and educated people have.
Well ! This isn't just my story but every kid in the world share the love in its purest form and that's the reason we enjoy playing with kids.
 I feel world would have been really in a great space if we would have never  lost that innocence.
Nevertheless this incident came to my mind when recently dad narrated this to one of our uncles& trust me we all had a great laugh.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts